Mac and cheese has to be one of those foods that is synonymous to American food. Others are hot dogs and burgers. This dish with its catchy name is heard a lot in movies, immediately the mac and cheese is a pretty cool dish just by its name. "Mac and Cheese". Crisp top and then breaking into a hearty inside ready to hug you with all its warmth and cheesiness. I mean who doesn't like a dish filled with cheese (unless lactose intolerant).
For this dish, we used Penne pasta since that was what we had in our drawer anyway. Grab a handful of pasta and boil the till al dente as it'll cook a tiny bit in the oven when you bake it. Don't forget to put salt in the boiling water for the pasta.
Crushed cream crackers
- 3 tbsp of flour
- 4 tbsp of butter (a little bit more)
- 200-300ml of milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 finely diced onion (medium sized)
- cheddar cheese (depends on how strong you want it)
- parmesan (depends on how strong you want it)
- Saute the onions with some butter and olive oil to prevent the butter from burning.
- When the onions are translucent, add the flour and cook the flour out a little.
- Add the milk slowly and stir to make a thick white sauce.
- Add the cheeses. As much as you want till you get the ultimate cheesiness you want.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper after adding the cheeses as they can be a little salty.
- Lastly, add the pasta and stir till everything is covered with sauce.
- Put everything into a bowl. Cover with as much cheese as you want. You could add some mozarella as well to have a stringy cheese texture. However, do not add too much Parmesan cheese as it may be too overpowering.
- Once you're done, cover the top with the crushed cracker crumbs and let it bake in a 180ºC oven till golden brown.
Breakthrough the crisp crust and plunge into the cheesy goodness underneath. Don't burn your tongue! :)