- 2 cups of peas
- 2 cups of diced carrots
- 1 white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Cheddar cheese (Lots)
- 7 cups of cooked rice
- Bacon (Or any other ingredient you prefer)
- Salt and Pepper
- 400 ml Chicken/Beef stock
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1.5 tbsp corn starch (diluted with some water)
- Firstly, make the cream sauce. Pour the chicken stock in a pot and add the heavy cream (if you don't have heavy cream you can use full cream milk instead).
- When it comes to a boil, add the cornstarch mixture and stir well until the sauce thickens. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, melt about a knob of butter. First, add the onions, followed by the garlic, carrots and the peas. Stir fry for about two minutes.
- Add the rice and mix. You can add more butter to the mix if needed and add the bacon. Mix and cook well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Basically it should taste like fried rice at this point.
- Coat the rice with the cream sauce and place in the baking tray. (Or in casserole dishes) Place a generous amount of cheddar cheese (or any additional cheese you may like: mozarella) on top of the rice.
- Bake in an oven about 180ºC for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese turns to a golden brown. Serve hot and enjoy.
Top the rice with a generous amount of cheese.
Great for potlucks too!