Good old sheperd's pie. Everytime you pass a restaurant that serves sheperd's pie I don't know about you but I can't help but want some for myself! But why not save your cash and make some at home during a chilly day. It's another great dish to bring for a potluck too! I love having pie with a little strawberry jam on the side cause it definitely brings out the flavours beautifully.
Serving size: 2 large serving bowls.
- Minced Beef
- 8 medium sized potatoes
- Sliced mushrooms
- 1 big onion
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- Boil the potatoes and remove the skin. Mash the potatoes with a masher or a fork and add some butter and milk just like making mashed potatoes. And don't forget to season it. Set it aside.
- Dice the onions, carrots and pan fry in some oil until soft. Minced beef and mushrooms.
- Add the worcestershire sauce and ketchup. Mix well then add the peas (you could add some corn in as well) last as they just take a few seconds. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once you're satisfied with the taste, pour into a oven safe bowl or even little ramekins. Add the mashed potato to the top of the bowl as seen below.
- Don't bother trying to smoothen it out! The little bumps will become a little crispy in the oven which is great! You can also use a fork to graze the top of the mashed potatoes.
- Put into an oven under 180 ºC until the top turns a little brown.
Comfort in a bowl. And you're eating all your vegetables too!